Dental implants are an effective solution for replacing missing teeth. Here are 5 facts about them:
1) Dental implants are an alternative treatment to bridges and dentures.
Bridges and dentures used to be the only options available to replace missing teeth, but now dental implants are the treatment of choice as they can offer a longer lasting solution.
2) Dental implants aren’t just a superficial treatment
Aside from the obvious benefit of improving your smile; dental implants can also prevent jawbone deterioration and banish any difficulties eating which the gap may be causing.
3) There are three steps to replacing missing teeth using dental implants
The first step is placement of the implant; the second step is biological integration of the implant into your mouth and the final step is restoring the implant so that a new individually designed tooth can be made attached to the implant.
4) Biological integration can take 8 – 12 weeks
The second step, biological integration, or osseointegration as it’s also known, typically takes 8 – 12 weeks although in some cases this can take longer.
5) Dental implants are made from titanium
Titanium is used because it can combine easily with bone. This metal is also ideal because it is lightweight and will not react with any chemicals.
If you’d like to find out more about dental implants and the other dental treatments available contact us now.